Most Gummy Bears Aren’t Even Vegetarian
Most gummy bears contain gelatin made from the cartilage, bones, hooves, or skin of pigs, and sometimes other animals. In other words, most gummy bears are not vegan, vegetarian, halal, or kosher. Fortunately there are some vegan and kosher and halal gummy bears on the market. Here you’ll find:
- List of vegan gummy bears
- List of gummy bears to avoid
- Contact info to ask companies to make vegan gummy bears
- Links to vegan gummy bear recipes and more
This post may contain affiliate links.
List of Vegan Gummy Bears
- Vegan, 96% organic
- The organic fruity bears are available for less here at Thrive Market.
- Company also makes bears (shown on the right) with gelatin – read packaging carefully.
- Allergy safe for top ten most common food allergies
- Surf Sweets brand makes 12 different vegan candies clearly marked on their website.
- Surf Sweets jellybeans use confectioner’s glaze which is made from Lac bugs.
- Wanna buy 10 lbs of vegan sour gummy bears?
- Vegan, Kosher certified, USDA organic.
- Company’s only other products are milk chocolate bars with the gummy cubs in them.
- Contact them with this form if you want to request vegan chocolate bars.
Annie’s Organic Bunny Fruit Snacks (not bears, but close!)
- Certified organic
- Includes Vitamin C
- Naturally gluten-free
- Back in stock now!
- Company has several other vegan products and vegan website section.
- Unclear who makes these.
- they look the same as the ones from Nuts.com
- Has an AMAZING black current flavor.
- I stumbled upon these in a vegan supermarket in Paris. If you’re in Paris you can get them at the all-vegan branches of Naturalista. I got them at this vegan Naturalia at 39 rue Merlin, Paris. (Check out my round up of other great vegan food in Paris)
- Available online at these German websites Miraherba and Naturkost. Not sure where they ship to. I think these two websites sell them in different sizes which accounts for the price difference.
Make Your Own Vegan Gummy Bears and more …
- video by Ela Gale on how to make them.
- recipe using agar agar powder by Cierra’s Country Life
- recipe for vegan sour gummy cocktail by Miss Kitchen Witch
- soy sauce gummy bears??!
- And check out this affordable gummy bear mold set so you can make your own gummy bears in the perfect shape!
Going to be in Simbach am Inn, the German Bavarian town just across the Inn river from Austria?
LIST OF NOT-EVEN-VEGETARIAN GUMMY BEARS
with company contact info.
Black Forest Organics Gummy Bears – NOT VEGETARIAN OR VEGAN
- Contains gelatin from slaughtered pigs.
- Ferrara Candy has gone out of its way to rebrand Black Forest as an organic brand. The bears are organic, gluten-free, and have natural flavors – but still have gelatin!
- CONTACT THEM NOW with this form to request vegan gummy bears.
- Tweet at Black Forest’s parent company Ferrara Candy @FerraraCandy
Haribo Gold-Bears – NOT VEGETARIAN OR VEGAN
- Gold-Bears produced in Germany contain gelatin from slaughtered pigs.
- Gold-Bears produced in Turkey contain gelatin from slaughtered cows.
- A recent German documentary alleges that workers producing Haribo’s carnauba wax work in terrible conditions, and that the pigs used for gelatin also come from an abusive animal farm.
- Kosher Gold-Bears contain gelatin from slaughtered fish, white and yellow beeswax
- Website says they also make fruit gummi’s without animal products, but those products are nowhere to be found, and when I e-mailed customer service asking which products were vegan I received a form letter touting the benefits of animal gelatin without answering my question.
- CONTACT HARIBO with this this form to let them know you want vegan gummy bears.
- Tweet at HARIBO to ask for vegan gummy bears and other candies @OfficialHARIBO
Albanese 12 Flavor Gummi Bears – NOT VEGETARIAN OR VEGAN
- Contains gelatin. Customer service says it’s a mixture from pigs and cows.
- Website makes it impossible to find ingredients but touts dairy free and gluten free. Had to find an image of packaging with the ingredients on Amazon.
- Call (855) 272-3227 or fill out this contact form but watch out – it tries to sign you up for a mailing list, and if you uncheck the mailing list box, but then forget to put a phone number, it reloads and rechecks the mailing list box.
- Tweet at Albanese candy to ask for vegan gummy bears and other candies @AlbaneseCandy
Trolli Classic Bears – NOT VEGETARIAN OR VEGAN
- I don’t think these exact bears are made anymore now that they’re owned by the same company that owns Black Forest but they make many other gummy candies, and you can still find them on a few websites so just in case:
- Contains gelatin.
- Also contains Sodium Lactate and Lactic Acid which may or may not be vegan. Have not received a response from customer service.
- Other Trolli brand gummies also contain gelatin.
- Tweet at Trolli to tell them you don’t buy their products because of the gelatin. @Trolli_USA
YumEarth Naturals Gummy Bears – NOT VEGETARIAN OR VEGAN BUT … MAYBE VEGAN SOON … stay tuned!
- Contains gelatin.
- YumEarth Naturals website says: “We are hoping to make all products vegan by the end of 2017, stay tuned!”
- YumEarth Naturals already makes some vegan products. I love their Pomegranate licorice!
- Tweet at YumEarth and let them know you’re excited they’re going to go completely vegan! @YumEarth
So, let’s fill the world with vegan gummy bears! Not really, I mean, they’re not great for you no matter what with all that added sugar. But I’d like to have some on occasion.