Vegan art supplies can be hard to find. Art supplies have traditionally used many ingredients from slaughtered or trapped animals. For example, paints, mediums, and even papers may contain bone char, gelatin, rabbit collagen, eggs, carmine, and shellac. Natural paintbrushes are made from the hair of sables, pigs, and squirrels.
Many higher end art supply companies use animal ingredients because these companies have been around in some cases for hundreds of years and use traditional recipes. But traditional dolesn’t necessarily mean better and a good artist can make do with whatever tools are available. It’s up to all of us who believe that animals shouldn’t suffer so we can express ourselves, to use our consumer power to support vegan products, and to effect change. Not only can we make sure we only purchase vegan art supplies, but we can also contact companies and let them know there’s consumer demand.
The supplies on this list, to the best of my knowledge, contain no animal products and were not tested on animals. I’m gradually adding footnotes to the source of information for how I know a product is vegan.
Vegan Art Supplies: Jump to different sections on this page.
- Vegan Acrylic Paint
- Vegan Adhesives/Glue/Tape
- Vegan Brushes
- Vegan Canvas (pre-stretched and primed)
- Vegan Chalk
- Vegan Crayons
- Vegan Gelatin Printing Plates
- Vegan Gesso and Grounds
- Vegan Gouache
- Vegan Ink
- Vegan Masking Fluid
- Vegan Mediums
- Vegan Oil Paint
- Vegan Oil Pastels
- Vegan Pens
- Vegan Pencils
- Vegan Pigments
- Vegan Sketchbook and Mixed Media Paper
- Vegan Watercolor Paint
- Vegan Watercolor Paper
- Vegan Watercolor Pencils
Vegan Acrylic Paint
- Liquitex – all paints except “bone black.” They do have alternative blacks.
- Daler-Rowney – all Cryla and Cryla Flow colors except Ivory Black
- Daler-Rowney – all System3 colors except Raw Sienna
- Daler-Rowney – all Pearlescent Liquid Acrylic Inks
- Holbein Heavy Body Acrylic except Ivory Black
- Winsor & Newton Artists’ Finity Acrylic Color except Ivory Black, Payne’s Gray
- Winsor & Newton Galeria Flow Formula Acrylic Color except Ivory Black, Payne’s Gray
- Amsterdam Acrylic Standard Series
- UHU Gluesticks, glues, and more (all glue products are vegan)
- 3L Adhesive Runner for collage and scrapbooking
- Modge Podge adhesives
- Sugru moldable glue
- Colors of Nature faux squirrel brushes
- Mimik synthetic hog brushes
- Jackson’s Studio synthetic watercolor brushes
Vegan Canvas (meaning the primer on pre-stretched canvas is vegan)
- Dick Blick Premiere Artist Canvas
Vegan Gelatin Printing Plates
- Gelli Arts – reusable vegan gelatin plates for monoprinting
Vegan Gesso and Grounds
- Daler-Rowney Designer’s Gouache except Neutral Grey 2, Paynes Grey, Lamp Black, Cool Grey 1,2, & 3 and Warm Grey 1,2, &3.
- Holbein Acryla Gouache – all colors
- Holbein Designer Gouache – only some colors…
- Winsor & Newton Designers’ Gouache – everything except Ivory Black, Winter Green, Raw Sienna, Spectrum Yellow, Intense Blue, Sky Blue, Light Purple, Prussian Blue, Linden Green, Flame Red, Burnt Umber, Bengal Rose, Primary Blue, Lamp Black, Spectrum Violet.
- Daler-Rowney F.W. Artists Inks – all colors are vegan
- Faber Castell TG1 Drawing Ink
- Winsor & Newton Calligraphy Inks range
- Daler-Rowney – all Pearlescent Liquid Acrylic Inks
Vegan Masking Fluid
- Liquitex – all mediums are vegan
Vegan Oil Paint
- Daler-Rowney Artists Oil Colors except Ivory Black and Blue Black
- Daler-Rowney Georgian Oil Colors except Ivory Black, Prussian Green and Coeruleum Hue
- Winsor & Newton Winton Oil Color except Ivory Black, Raw Umber
- Winsor & Newton Artists’ Oil Color except Ivory Black, Blue Black, Carmine?
- Winsor & Newton Griffin Alkyd Fast Drying Oil Colour range except for Ivory Black
- Winsor & Newton Artisan Water Mixable Oil Colour range except for Ivory Black
- Holbein Artist Oil except for Blue Black, Ivory Black, Neutral Grey, Sepia, Van Dyke Brown, Foundation Grey
- Holbein Ecoise Oil except for Ivory Black, Van Dyke Brown
- Hoblein DUO Aqua Oil except for Ivory Black, Sepia
- Holbein Vernet Superior Oil except for Ivory Black
Vegan Oil Pastels
- Derwent Pastel blocks
- Colors of Nature Pastels
- Faber Castell – All pencils, pens and erasers
- Faber Castell – Polychromos pencils
- Derwent Coloursoft pencils
- Derwent Metallic pencils
- Derwent Pastel pencils
- Derwent Graphitone pencils
Vegan Sketchbook and Mixed Media Paper
- Colors of Nature bamboo mixed media papers
- Canson XL mixed media papers
- Strathmore – all sketchbooks
Vegan Watercolor Paint
- Holbein Watercolors except for Ivory Black
- Holbein PAN Watercolors except for Ivory Black
- Winsor & Newton Cotman Watercolors except for Viridian Hue, Raw Umber, Ivory Black
- Gansai Tambi Watercolors
- Colors of Nature Watercolor
- Daniel Smith watercolors except for Sepia, Ivory Black, and Payne’s Gray
- Da Vinci Artists’ Permanent Watercolors except for Sepia, Payne’s Gray, Lamp Black, Davy’s Gray, Ivory Black.
- MaimeriBlu except for 484 Van Dyck Brown, 486 Sepia, 514 Payne’s Grey, and 535 Ivory Black.
- QoR Modern Watercolors except for Ivory Black.
- Finetec Mica Pigment Pearl Watercolor (also used in calligraphy)
Vegan Watercolor Paper
- Strathmore – all watercolor paper except 500 Series Gemini
- Fabriano – all watercolor paper except Secolo XIII, Roma, and Esportazione
- Legion Stonehenge Aqua Watercolor Paper
- Canson Heritage watercolor paper
- Canson Montval watercolor paper
- Canson Moulin du Roy watercolor paper
- Winsor & Newton Bockingford
- St Cuthberts Mill Bockingford
Vegan Watercolor Pencils
- Bruynzeel-Sakura watercolor pencils
Footnotes in order by brand name.
(source information for whether a product is vegan)
- Chartpak, Inc. – e-mail received 10/4/2017 included list of vegan products – awaiting animal testing info.
- Clearprint – e-mail received 10/4/2017 included list of vegan products – awaiting animal testing info.
- Da Vinci Watercolors – e-mail received from Da Vinci customer service 9/30/2017: “Our watercolors do not contain ox gall or honey or other ingredients derived from animals. The only colors using animal derived ingredients are the few which contain pigment Black 6 or 9 (PBk6 or PBk9). Colors that do not use these pigments do not contain animal ingredients. The pigment content is available under each swatch on our watercolor category page https://www.davincipaints.com/
- Daniel Smith Watercolors – e-mail received from customer service 10/2/2017 said, “Thank you for your question. Our products are not tested on animals, nor contain animal derived ingredients except the colors that contain pigment pBK9. pBK9 is found in the following colors only: Sepia, Ivory Black, Payne’s Gray”
- Dick Blick Heavyweight Cotton Canvas – e-mail received from Dick Black customer service 9/29/2017, “I have confirmed that our Blick Premier Heavyweight Cotton Canvas is vegan.”
- Grumbacher – e-mail received 10/4/2017 included list of vegan products – awaiting animal testing info.
- Higgins – e-mail received 10/4/2017 included list of vegan products – awaiting animal testing info.
- MaimeriBlu – e-mail received 10/2/2017: “I can assure you that we do not test our products on animals and in the Maimeriblu watercolour range only one pigment in the Maimerblu range is not suitable for vegans, i.e. Pbk 9 which is contained in 484 Van Dyck Brown, 486 Sepia, 514 Payne’s Grey and 535 Ivory Black.”
- Koh-I-Noor USA – e-mail received 10/4/ 2017 included list of vegan products – awaiting animal testing info.
- Mission Gold Watercolors – e-mail received 10/6/2017:
Unfortunately, they do currently contain honey, which as an animal byproduct, is not vegan-friendly. A full list of ingredients is available on our website, www.mijelloart.com, in the MSDS link under the “resources” tab.”
- Yarka Watercolors are NOT vegan – e-mail received from Dick Blick customer service 9/29/2017 about several things: “…however the Yarka Watercolors are not [vegan].”